Last week the British Council unveiled Yinka Shonibare MBE (RA)’s first public sculpture in Nigeria. As part of the artist’s first major solo exhibition in the country, Wind Sculpture VI is installed in Ndubuisi Kanu Park in Ikeja, Lagos. The fiberglass sculpture stands nearly 20 feet tall, and is part of the British Council’s UK/Nigeria 2015–16 season, which aims to create new collaborations and strengthen relationships between the two countries.
Also this week:
- Season 2’s Collier Schorr photographed the kids from Netflix’s hit series Stranger Things for Dazed’s winter 2016 issue.
- And in more fun news, the 21 winners of this year’s Presidential Medal of Freedom—including Maya Lin and architect Frank Gehry—participated in an epic White House Mannequin Challenge after receiving their medals.
Events & exhibitions
- The new solo exhibition Pollock/Benton, by John Baldessari is on view at Marian Goodman Gallery through December 23.
- A new exhibition of sculptures by Mike Kelley, titled Kandors, is on at Venus over Manhattan through January 27.
- NEW HAVEN, CT | Thursday, December 1; 6:30 pm—Carrie Mae Weems is giving a lecture titled Past Tense at Yale University Art Gallery.
- MIAMI | Saturday, December 3—Tanya Bonakdar Gallery is unveiling a new site-specific, permanent installation by Mark Dion titled David Fairchild: Laboratory at The Kampong, at the National Tropical Botanical Garden.
- Ai Weiwei’s latest exhibition opened on Friday at Lisson Gallery’s London space. Titled Fondation, the exhibition is comprised of two installations: Fondation and 258 Fake, which together look both forward and back to consider the roles of art and artists.
- Animality, a new group exhibition with work by John Baldessari, Mark Dion, Roni Horn, Jamian Juliano-Villani, Gabriel Orozco, and others is on view through December 17 at Marian Goodman’s London gallery.
It’s impossible to include all the incredible exhibitions and art events happening this week in a single post. If there’s something you feel should have been included in today’s roundup, leave a comment below!