Almost since its creation, graffiti vandals have been damaging William Kentridge’s 1,800-foot mural in Rome, Triumphs & Laments. Last week in an interview with La Repubblica, the artist asked local authorities to remove the graffiti, and that same day Rome’s deputy mayor ordered a team from the city’s refuse department to clean the piece.
Events & exhibitions
New York City
- Wednesday, April 12, 7pm—Leonardo Drew will be discussing his work and artistic process at the New School, as part of the Visiting Artists Lecture Series.
- Pedro Reyes’ first solo exhibition at Lisson Gallery closes this Saturday, April 15. Damn Magazine praises it as “an ambitious show both in output and the range of ideas, demonstrating Reyes’ determination to juggle different balls in his multifarious practice.”
- #AiWeiwei, a new exhibition opening Thursday at the Museum of Contemporary Photography, showcases Ai Weiwei’s photographs from the 1980s and 90s alongside his recent social media installations. (On view through July 2, read more in Crave.)
Salt Lake City, UT
- Friday April 14, 9:30-10:30am—Mel Chin will be delivering a closing keynote address entitled “The unMaking and reMaking of the Artist” at the Utah Symposium in Science and Literature.
- Four video works by Carrie Mae Weems are on view at The Media Gallery at Minnesota Street Project through this Saturday, April 15.
- Thursday April 13, 7pm—Ann Hamilton will be speaking as part of the Winnipeg Art Gallery’s MATTER Lecture series.
- An exhibition featuring large-scale steel sculptures by Richard Serra, collectively titled Rounds: Equal Weight, Unequal Measure, Rotate, will be closing this Thursday at Gagosian.
- A new solo exhibition by Richard Tuttle entitled The Critical Edge is opening Thursday, April 13 at Pace, where it will remain on view through through May 13.
- You Are Looking at Something That Never Occurred, a group photography exhibition featuring artists Lucas Blalock, Cindy Sherman, Erin Shirreff, and Jeff Wall among others, is on view through July 9 at the Zabludowicz Collection.
- O Sentimental Machine, an exhibition of work by artist William Kentridge, is closing this Saturday, April 15 at Marian Goodman Gallery.
It’s impossible to include all the incredible exhibitions and art events happening this week in a single post. If there’s something you feel should have been included in today’s roundup, leave a comment below!