Last Monday the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden announced that architect and photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto has been commissioned to reenvision its lobby and interior entrance. The new space, opening to the public in February 2018, will feature custom furniture by Sugimoto, a 20-foot brass and tin coffee bar, and new digital displays.
Also this week:
- Hauser & Wirth announced that they’ll be launching a Hong Kong gallery in March 2018 with an exhibition of work by Mark Bradford.
- A group of artists—including Joan Jonas and Glenn Ligon—are collaborating on #ArtActionDay on the one-year anniversary of President Trump’s inauguration. A coalition of artists, cultural organizations, and companies will host nationwide readings, panel discussions, and workshops, and Spotify will be publishing a special “creativity boost” playlist curated by Laurie Anderson.
- Martin Puryear’s Big Bling—the subject of a 2016 Art21 Extended Play film—is heading to MASS MoCA where it will go on view in 2018.
Events & exhibitions
New York City
- Two Palms is currently showcasing the work of Jessica Stockholder at their New York venue.
- Rat Hole Gallery’s current exhibition is Roni Horn’s The Selected Gifts, (1974-2015), a collection of 67 photographs documenting gifts received by the artist over a period of 41 years. The photographs will be on view through March 4, 2018.